In 2009, the treatment covered by medical cards was greatly reduced, however, a range of benefits are still available to medical card holders as follows:
- Examination: 1 Per calendar year
- Extractions: As many as required
- Fillings: 2 per calendar year
- Dentures: 1 set per 5 years
- Scale and Polish: is still covered for patients with certain medical conditions including heart problems, diabetes, epilepsy and cancer. It is particularly important for this group of patients to get regular cleanings as poor gum health is known to contribute to a deterioration in the above conditions.
- Referral for specialist treatment: in certain the medical card will cover referral to a specialist in the Dental Hospital or to an Oral surgeon to have a wisdom tooth removed.